Ministerial Appointed Board Members to the Combined Board of Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School
Would you like to be considered for a Board role, appointed by the Minister of Education to the Combined Board for Halswell Residential College and Westbridge Residential School for a term of up to three years?
This Board's constitution allows for up to five Ministerial Appointees. Two upcoming positions are available from 1 March 2021. The Board is responsible for the governance of both schools, is the employer of school staff and sets each school's overall strategic direction. Members of the Board work to ensure educational plans are in place and the goals of the schools are met for the benefit of all students and their families and whānau.
About the Schools
Halswell Residential College in Christchurch and Westbridge Residential School in Massey, West Auckland both provide special education within a residential setting for students who need significant programme adaption and whose educational, social and emotional needs cannot be met in their local environment.
Halswell Residential College caters for students with intellectual and/or learning disabilities and prides itself on creating a unique, exciting environment that embraces all types of learners and promotes growth both academically and personally. For more information about HRC, please visit https://www.halswellcollege.com/
Westbridge Residential School has a strong focus on using Restorative Practices as a way of supporting their students to make positive changes in behaviour. The small classes and high teacher to student ratios ensure academic success. For more information about WRS, please visit https://www.westbridge.school.nz/
Students are typically enrolled in the schools for between 12-18 months during which time their families and whānau are also supported to make positive changes.
Does this sound like you?
A Board of Special Institutions such as HRC and WRS require a broad range of skills and experience:
* It is absolutely essential that Board members have governance experience (preferably in education, or the public sector); and
* A genuine interest in the work of the schools and the education and welfare of its students; and
* An understanding of the needs of the Ministry's priority groups of learners which include students with learning support needs, and Māori and Pacific students.
Other knowledge or skills below are also desirable:
* Experience in areas such as Education, Finance, Law, Property, Human Resources, Health and /or the Social sector.
* A professional background in psychology or mental health or an understanding of trauma and trauma informed care is also desirable, but not essential.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Māori, Pacific and those with disabilities, who will enrich our understanding of the education system.
Please note that Clauses 9 and 10 of Schedule 23 of the Education and Training Act 2020, list the categories of persons who are not eligible to be selected to a casual vacancy, elected, appointed or co-opted as trustees. Please refer to the attached document above regarding eligibility for this role.
How to apply?
For further information please contact Andrea Thomson on Andrea.Thomson@education.govt.nz or 04 4638254.
If this opportunity sounds like you, and you meet the eligibility criteria above please apply now.
Upon application you will need to provide:
• An electronic copy of your CV and cover letter. Within your cover letter, please outline your suitability for the role:
* Briefly describe your interest and/or experience in school governance and provide examples.
* Briefly describe your interest and experience with the Ministry's priority groups of students (students with special education needs, Māori students and Pacific students), and provide examples. If you are able, please also include your interest in and/or experience with Halswell Residential College or Westbridge Residential School.
* Briefly describe other knowledge, skills, personal attributes and experience relevant to the proposed appointment, with examples.
• Please provide the names and telephone contact details of two referees who can attest to your knowledge and experience required for this position. Please note that referees should not be Ministry of Education employees.
Applications close: Monday 5 October 2020